Friday, September 15, 2017

The Best Advice I Can Offer by Anne Patrick

Anne Patrick
We can all learn from each other as we experience the highs and lows of the writing life. Author Anne Patrick has gained some insight, and today she shares encouragement for the rough days, as well as tips for success. ~ Dawn


The Best Advice 
I Can Offer

The best piece of advice I can offer to a new or budding author is to never give up. There are a lot of ups and downs in the craft and there will be times you may want to throw in the towel, but don’t. Sooner or later the door will open for you and you’ll find your groove. Undoubtedly, the best book I’ve read about the craft is Stephen King’s book On Writing. He may not be your cup of tea, but he offers some great advice.

My journey, like most others in the field, has been a bumpy ride. There was even a time where I quit writing for a couple of years because I became so frustrated with rejections and what not. I did have a few offers, but their percentages were ridiculous to what I could make self-publishing, so I decided to take this route. 

I’ve no regrets. I’m not saying self-publishing is for everyone. Some prefer working with large publishers. I'm somewhat of a control freak, so this route is best for me. The most important thing about self-publishing is making sure your book is the best it can be. Hire an editor and use professional book covers. If you can, line up some good beta readers who will give you honest feedback. Personally, I prefer using long time readers.

Another important thing to remember right from the start is not everyone is going to like your work. Sooner or later you will get that dreaded one-star review. I admit I’ve gotten a few. If it’s an honest critique, learn from it. If it’s not, brush it off. You’re going to need tough skin in this business. Whether the critiques come from editors or readers, don’t let it get you down. Make the corrections, if need be, and move on! 

Something that helps me to move past those pesky and, sometimes, scathing reviews, is I keep a folder with emails from readers and editors as a source of inspiration. You’d be surprised at how well it works to boost your confidence. 

Sometimes I have to remind myself I’m not on this journey for fame, fortune or notoriety.  God has given me this wonderful gift for a purpose and I want to use it in a way that pleases Him. In this day and age, that is often hard to do. Keep your chin up though and remember Philippians 4:13 (NLT). “For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.” Let Him walk before you and you’ll never lose your way.

God bless!
Anne Patrick




Detective Gwen Jamison has the highest closure rate in her division, but when a string of armed robberies turn deadly she must race against the clock to find the sole witness that can end the carnage. Standing in her way is a cold-blooded killer who she fears has murdered before.

Lieutenant Ian McKean knew he would have his hands full when he took over leadership of the detectives unit. He wasn't prepared for the headstrong Detective Jamison, though, who quickly becomes a thorn in his side.

If they can stop butting heads long enough they might realize they are more alike than either imagined.




Anne Patrick is the author of more than a dozen novels of Romance, Mayhem & Faith including the award-winning and best-selling Fire and Ash and Out of the Darkness. When she isn't working on her next novel she enjoys spending time with family and friends. A former Oklahoma native, she now resides in Kansas.

To learn more and connect with Anne, please visit: